May 31, 2006

One more week to go...

As strange at it seems, I'm holed in at the library again with my fellow commiserators busy writing my final papers - Its a weird kind of sociality. We see each other every day, but we never talk, we dont even know each others names and we can only guess at what the other might be studying on the basis of the books they have in front of them. But still I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds comfort in seeing the same familiar faces one day after an another.

I dont know where this last quarter went though, it feels like I only just finished my final papers for winter quarter. But as the overwhelming heat and my sunburned shoulders tell me, it is summer now, and sooner than I realize I'll be back in Brazil spending my time dancing samba and forro, playing capoeira and of course trying to immerse myself a bit deeper into the world of candomble. Not a bad life at all...

Until then though I have to figure out how to put Derrida, Massumi, de Certeau and Bourdieu into dialogue with each other and Candomble initiation, give an hour long presentation on qualia in Candomble, and write a paper on the ways discourses of race have affected representations of Candomble, as well as find somebody to sublet my room for the summer...
(Candomble initiation à la Pierre Verger -->)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home