July 01, 2005

It´s been a pretty busy week. I´ve been to a Candomble ceremony for Xango, danced forro at another concert of my friends´ band, done some capoeira and met up with most of my friends from last year. It warms my heart to realize how many people still remember me and are happy to see me again. But don´t worry I´m not just partying and hanging out with friends here. I started both a Candomble percussion and a dance course this week, and they are really hard. The first drumming class I was so hopeless that I wasn´t even allowed to play the drum. Instead the teacher gave me an agogo (a metal bell like the one played in capoeira, for those of you who don´t know) to strike the rhythm on. But yesterday, I did much better. I got most of the rhythms on a drum and even managed to sing some of the Yoruba-language songs that are supposed to be sung along with the drumming.
It has been great and I am feeling happy amd excited about being here.
Here are some pictures from my friends' gig last Sunday. There band is called "Eruditos". As soon as I figure out to transform my recordings into MP3s I´ll put some music on too.

Oh, I finally managed to get myself a cellphone. So, if you feel like calling or SMSing me, send me an email and I´ll send you the number.



3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Hey E.

Great to hear things are going well. Your Capoeria paperwork is in.

- Matt

7/04/2005 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Matt!! You rock! Good luck with the thesis writing!

7/05/2005 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you send me your number, i promise to message you strange and/or notes on occasion. :P

-chris

7/10/2005 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home